The “RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD” IS JUST. The RIGHTEOUSNESS OF MAN IS SIN!
Updated: Jul 17
The “RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD” IS JUST. The RIGHTEOUSNESS OF MAN IS???
The Prophet Jos.Smith Pg.194 Let not any man publish (boast) his own righteousness, but let him confess his sins.
TPJS Page 303 “I do not want you to think that I am very righteous, for I am not.” The Prophet Joseph Smith.
TPJS Page 317 “There is one thing I have learned is that the righteousness of man is SIN, because it exacteth much, but the Righteousness of God is just because it exacteth NOTHING at all, but He sendeth rain on the just and the unjust, seed time and harvest, for all of which man is ungrateful.” The Prophet Joseph Smith
1. Romans 3:9-24 We have proved both (Israel) and Gentiles, that they (we) are all under sin; As it is written, There is NONE “RIGHTEOUS”, no, not one: There is none that understand, there is none that seek after God. We are all gone out of the way, We are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every (Self-Righteous?) mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. But now the “righteousness” of God without the law is manifested; Even the “righteousness” of God which is by faith (in) Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified ONLY by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
2. Galatians 2:16, 21 Knowing that a man is NOT justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. I do not frustrate the Grace of God: for if righteousness comes by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
3. Romans 9:30-33 The Gentiles have attained to “righteousness”, even that “righteousness” which is OF faith (in Christ). But Israel, which followed after the law of “righteousness”, hath NOT attained “righteousness”. Why? Because they sought it NOT by faith, but by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone; It is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a Stumblingstone and Rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on “Him” (Christ) shall not be ashamed. See Hel. 5:12
4. Romans 10:1-13 1 My heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. For I bear record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God's “Righteousness”, and going about to establish their own “righteousness”, have not submitted themselves unto the “Righteousness” of God. For Christ IS the end of the law for “righteousness” to every one that believeth (on Him). For with the heart man believeth unto “righteousness”; For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on Him (Christ) shall not be ashamed. For there is no difference between Israel and the Greek (Gentile): for the same Lord over all is (merciful) unto all that call upon Him. For whosoever shall call upon the “NAME” of the Lord shall be saved.
5. Philippians 3: 8-10 Yea doubtless, and I count all things [but] loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found IN Him, NOT having mine own “righteousness”, which is OF the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the “Righteousness” which is OF God by faith: 10 That I may know him. (For this is Life Eternal to KNOW Him! John 17:3)
5. Matt. 6:33 Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His Righteousness, & (then) all these things shall be added unto you.
6. 3 Nephi 22:14,17 In Righteousness shalt thou be established; thou shalt be FAR from oppression FOR (because) thou shalt not fear; The Righteousness of the servants of the Lord is “OF” ME.
7. 2 Nephi 2:3 I know that thou art redeemed (by) the Righteousness of thy Redeemer, He shall bring Salvation unto men.
8. 2 Nephi 4:32-33 O Lord, with thou NOT shut the “Gates of THY Righteousness before me. O Lord, wilt Thou encircle me around in the robes of Thy Righteousness.”
9. Helaman 13:38 “Ye have sought all your lives for that which ye could NOT obtain; ye have sought for happiness in doing iniquity (busy-ness), which is contrary to the nature of that RIGHTEOUSNESS which is IN our great and Eternal Head.”
10. D&C 1:15-16 (Ye) have strayed from mine ordinances and have broken mine everlasting covenant; for (ye) seek NOT the Lord to establish HIS “Righteousness”, but every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of this OWN God, whose image is in the likeness of the world (mankind). (the image of your own God is the image that you are your own God and your own righteousness is what you worship.)
Elder Neal A. Maxwell: “Our choice is to seek to establish HIS Righteousness, OR: to rebelliously continue to walk in our OWN way.” Apr 1985 Conf., Romans 10:3, Matthew 6:3 JST
11. Genesis 15:6 Romans 4:3, Gal 3:6 And (Abram) believed in the Lord; and He counted it to him for righteousness.
12. 1 Samuel 26:23 The Lord renders (gifts) of righteousness to every man
13. Psalms 23: 3 He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His Name’s sake. Psalm 37:6 He shall bring forth thy “Righteousness” (Christ) as the Light
Psalm 50:6 The Heavens shall declare His Righteousness!
14. Psalms57:5, 97:6 Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust in Him; 6 He shall bring forth thy righteousness as the Light.
15. Psalms 71:19 Thy righteousness also, O God, is very high: O God, who is like unto Thee!
16. Psalms 85:11 Moses 7:62 Truth shall spring out of the earth; and “Righteousness” shall look down from heaven.
17. Psalms 89:15-17 Blessed is the people that know the “Joyful Sound”; they shall walk, O Lord, in the Light of Thy Countenance. In Thy NAME shall they rejoice ALL the day; and in “THY RIGHTEOUSNESS shall they be exalted. For thou art the Glory of their strength.
Psalm 111:3, 2 Cor 9:9 His Righteousness endureth forever
18. Psalms 54:1 Save me, O God, by thy NAME, and judge me by thy strength, (THY Righteousness)
19. Jeremiah 23: 5-6 This is His NAME whereby HE shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS”
20. Jeremiah 33: 15-16 “This is the NAME wherewith SHE shall be called , THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS”
21. Proverbs 10:2, 11:4 “Righteousness” (Christ) delivereth from Death
22. Proverbs 21:21 He that followeth after Righteousness and mercy findeth Life, Righteousness, and Honour.
23. Isaiah 32: 17 And the work of His Righteousness shall be Peace; and the effect of Righteousness (is) quietness forever. Isaiah 41: 10 Fear not for I am with thee, I am Thy God (YHVH),I will uphold thee with MY Righteousness. Is. 61:10
I will greatly rejoice in my God, for He hath clothed me with the garments of Salvation - the Robe of "HIS" Righteousness
24. Isaiah 54:17 The servants of the Lord: Their Righteousnes is OF Me (Christ).
Isaiah 56:1 My Salvation is near, and My Righteousness is to be ReVealed.
25. Daniel 4:27 Break off thy sins by “righteousness” (Christ) Daniel 12:3 They that turn many to Righteousness (Christ) shall shine as stars Zephaniah 2:3 Seek Righteousness (Christ)
26. Romans1:17 For therein is The Righteousness OF God revealed from faith: The just shall live (eternal) by faith in Christ
27. Romans 3:25 Declare HIS Righteousness for remission of sins
28. Romans 5:2 Grace reigns through Righteousness (Christ)
29. Romans 5:17 For if by one man’s offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of Grace and of The "Gift" of Righteousness shall reign in life by One, Jesus Christ.)
30. Romans 5:19 By the one many were made sinners, so by the obedience of (Christ) shall many be made righteous.
31. Romans 10:4 Christ is the end of the Law, for Righteousness, to all who believeth.
32.Romans 14:17 “For the Kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but “righteousness” and peace and joy IN the Holy Ghost.”
33. 1 Timothy 6;11 2 Tim 2:22 Follow after “Righteousness” (Christ)
35. 2 Timothy 4:8 There is a crown of righteousness which the Lord shall “give” to all who love His appearing
36.Matt5:6; 3Ne12:6 Blessed are they which hunger/thirst after Righteousness (Christ): for they shall be filled w/HolyGhost
37. 1 Nephi 2:9 Be like this River that runs into The Fountain of Righteousness (Christ)
38. 1 Nephi 14: 14 ….they were armed (by Christ) with righteousness and with the power OF God in great glory.
39. 2 Nephi 4:33 Wilt thou Encircle me around in the robe of THY Righteousness
40. 2 Nephi 25:2 The Son of Righteousness (God) shall arise with healing in His Wings
41. Mosiah 2:37 man cometh out in open rebellion against God; therefore he listeth to obey the evil spirit, and becometh an enemy to all righteousness; therefore, the Lord has no place IN him, for He dwelleth not in unholy temples.(man) see D&C93: Man is the Tabernacle of God, even Temples) 42. Mosiah 27:25 All people must be Born of God, changed (by Christ) from their fallen state to a state of Righteousness, being redeemed OF (BY) God (Christ).
43. Alma 38:9 There is no other way or means whereby man can be saved, ONLY in and through Christ. Behold, He is the Life and the Light of the world. Behold, He is the Word of Truth and He is Righteousness.
44. 3 Nephi 22:14 In Righteousness (Christ) shall thou be established.
45. 3 Ne 33:13 Matt 6:13 Seek ye first the kingdom OF God and His Righteousness and all things shall be added unto you.
46. 4 Nephi 1:46 There were none that were righteous save it were the disciples of Jesus.
47. Ether 12:28, 8:26 Come to the Fountain of Righteousness (Christ)
Ether 9:22 …he (Brother of Jared) even saw the Son of Righteousness (Christ)
48. Abraham 1:2 Having been a “FOLLOWER” of Righteousness (Christ) (we don’t DO, but we Re-Ceive the Gift of).
49. Moses 7:62 Righteousness will I send down from Heaven…..and Righteousness (will) sweep the earth as a flood.
50. D&C 25:14 Continue in the spirit of meekness, and beware of pride. Keep my commendments continually, and Righteousness thou shalt Re-ceive. And except thou do this, where I am you cannot come. And this is
51. D&C 109:76 ….that we may be clothed upon with robes of Righteousness, with palms in our hands, and crowns of glory upon our heads, and reap eternal joy for all our sufferings.
52. TPJS Page 241: All the religious world is boasting of righteousness; it is the doctrine of the devil to hinder our progress, by filling us with “self”righteousness. The nearer we get to our Heavenly Father, the more we are disposed to look with compassion on perishing souls; we feel that we want to take them upon our shoulders, and cast their sins behind our backs. If you would have God have mercy on you, have mercy on one another.”
53. TPJS Page 277-78: “While Jesus was teaching the people, all the publicans and sinners drew near to hear Him: “and the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying: This man “receiveth” sinners, and eateth with them.” This is the Keyword (“receiveth” sinners) which unlocks the parable of the prodigal son. It was given to answer the murmurings of the Pharisees. And he spake this parable—“What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them doth not leave the ninety-and-nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it? And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing. I say unto you, that joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth,” The hundred sheep represent Sadducees and Pharisees, as though Jesus had said, “If you Pharisees are in the sheepfold, I have no mission for you; I am sent to look up sheep that are lost; and when I have found them, I will make joy in heaven.” Like I (Joseph Smith) say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that “Re-Penteth”, more than over ninety-and-nine just persons that are so (self) “righteous”, they will be damned anyhow; you cannot save them.”
54. The Prophet Joseph Smith: "Do not watch for iniquity in others, if you do you will not receive an endowment, for God will not bestow it on such. If you do not accuse each other, God will NOT accuse you. If you will throw a cloak of Charity over my sins, I will over yours -- for Charity(Pure Love) covereth a multitude of Sins. What many people call sin is NOT Sin. LET NOT ANY MAN (SAY) HE IS RIGHTEOUS, sooner let him confess his sins and then he will be forgiven." TPJS pg 192-4. "Beware of self Righteousness, and be limited in the estimate of your own virtues, and NOT think yourself more righteous than others - you must enlarge your soul toward each other." TPJS pg 228 “The religious world boasts of its “righteousness”; it is the doctrine of the devil to retard the human mind and retard our progress by filling us with Self-righteousness. The nearer we get to our Heavenly Father, the more we are disposed to look with compassion on perishing souls to take them upon our shoulders and cast their sins behind our backs. If you would have God have mercy on you, you have mercy on one another. We can only live (eternal life) by Worshipping our God. All must do it for themselves; none can do it for another (Know God). If you love the Lord, then feed the sheep and do not destroy them (by telling them to make themselves righteous?). Men CANNOT be compelled into the Kingdom of God. Words of the Prophet Jos.Smith Pg.123
55. John 16:7-9 When He (Comforter Christ) is come, He will REPROVE the world of sin and of “Righteousness”
56. 1 John 1:7-10 If we confess our sins, He is faithful to cleanse us from all UN-Righteousness.
57.D&C121:36 Principles of Righteousness: Persuasion, Gentleness, Meekness, Love UNFEIGNED, Kindness, Not Be-Guile
Ezek16:15, 49, 50 Sodom Sins:Trust in own Beauty(Idol - Self-Righteousness) PRIDE(ego) Idleness, Haughty, Neglect Needy